Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's A Start

Well, it is a start.  A step in the right direction.  Lancaster County taking steps to change the way sex abuse crimes are handled.  However, to say that, as a woman quoted in the article states that she, "hadn't ever heard that such things existed, " I'd gamble more that she just wasn't aware that it wasn't acceptable behavior.  Women are still deemed less then here.  They are still thought of as merely being meant for the service of man.  And the younger the better.  One of the first things I was told when I moved here, (because I was five months pregnant) was something which stuck out to me as odd, but it was by an Ephrata Hospital OBGYN nurse who on my very first visit said, "You know the Amish men break in their daughters.  That's why they have so many kids with disabilities."  Honestly, no I didn't know this.  I had no idea.  I hadn't really even known of Amish people either aside from a National Geographic article I had read.  I grew up outside of NYC for Godssakes.   However, what I have found since I have lived here for over ten years now is, often the Lancastonians blame the prevalent acceptance of sex crimes against women and children on the Amish culture.  Whereas, I am finding and have found, this is a cop out on the local's part.  It's much deeper and far more widespread than that.

Again, the Sandusky case = the TIP of the iceberg.  Sad but true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment